Sunday, June 13, 2010

End of the Year Reflections

This past Friday marked the conclusion of my fifth year of teaching, and my third year at Boyertown. Instead of focusing on all of the exciting things I hope to accomplish this summer my mind has been consumed with thoughts about the past. I have been reflecting upon the last three years at Boyertown. I have been thinking about how I have grown as an educator, artist, and person. Thinking about how much my daughter has grown, as she is on the cusp of becoming a woman. Thinking about the connections I have forged with some of my students, and how much I enjoy teaching.
My reflections began with asking myself some general questions like: What went well this past school year? What didn’t go well? How can I grow as a teacher? How can I make my lessons more effective? How can I make my classroom run more efficiently? What can I do to better connect with my students? Was it a smart decision to remove the splash pans from all of the potter’s wheels? Should I have my students focus less on skill development and more on the development of ideas? How can I better integrate my students using their sketchbooks in class? What do I need to do to keep all of my seniors excited, motivated, and still creating during the months of May, and June? (IF ANYONE HAS THE ANSWER TO THIS LAST QUESTION PLEASE TELL ME!!!)
Then while wondering if I am making a difference at all in the lives of my students I received the following email from one of my seniors that just graduated:

I have to thank you for this year. Before I walked into your room in the beginning of the year I had no ambitions to do anything in my life art was just a hobby and I didn't expect to see myself going to college. But you saw potential in me and you not only help me become a better artist but you helped me become a better person. I cannot thank you for all that you have done for me this year. You criticized me and you told me the truth while others just said it wasn't bad. You also got me an apprenticeship with Steve, which I never thought would happen. You have influenced me to become a teacher just like the ceramics teacher you had when you were my age. Finally like your slogan what do I want and what I am doing actually matches.

Thank you for everything

Teddy

No comments:

Post a Comment